23 Common Questions to Ask Your Optometrist
Visiting the optometrist (eye doctor) can bring up many questions you may have. Whatever questions you have, it is important to have them ready for your eye exam. It helps to write them down. If you don’t know what questions to ask, below are some common questions you can ask your optometrist. Your eye health is important so you shouldn’t be shy to ask your eye doctor questions and mention any concerns you may have.
Questions to Ask Your Eye Doctor
Before the Appointment
- What does a basic eye exam involve and how long will it take?
- Are eye exams expensive?
- Will a low vision examination help? How does that differ from a comprehensive eye exam?
- Do I need to see an ophthalmologist?
- How many tests do I need at the eye doctor?
- What are all the instruments and what do they check for?
- What kind of tests are involved?
During/After the Appointment
- What is the cause of my vision loss?
- Do I have a peripheral (side vision) field loss?
- Is my condition stable, or can I lose more sight?
- What new symptoms should I watch out for?
- Are there treatments for my eye condition?
- When should the treatment start and how long will it last?
- Will more tests be necessary later?
- How often will you schedule follow-up visits? Should I be monitored on a regular basis?
- When do you recommend I schedule my next appointment?
- Do you have any educational materials that explain my condition?
- What can I do to protect, or prolong, my vision?
- Will any diet/exercise/other lifestyle changes help my eyesight?
- What changes can I expect in my vision as I age?
- Should I opt for eye glasses or contact lenses? Is one more effective than the other?
- Can I get away with cheap reading glasses instead of paying for expensive prescription lenses?
- Are progressive lenses better than bifocals?
Signature Eye Care provides a wide range of eye health services from glasses to surgery. Our professional staff and doctors are dedicated to making your eye appointment as enjoyable as possible. We strive to give you the best service and treatment for optimal eye care health. Contact us today to set up an eye appointment.